Monday, September 12, 2016

The Flood

Email written: 9/12/16

Well, it actually didn't rain this week, but the flood we focused on this week was "flooding the world with the Book of Mormon" We had a zone meeting and they told us that we now have the goal of giving away 30 copies of the Book of Mormon per week (In my other areas it was maybe 1 a day) and we didn't know how to feel because the people in this part of Buenos Aires are very "special". We tried hard in contacting everyone and in all of last week 2 people stopped to talk to us. And only 1 of them accepted a Book of Mormon and an appointment to pass by the next day. So we passed by and the guy answered the door and he said they go to another church, but like always we tired to find something in common and he believed in almost everything we do. Then came the difference because we talked about the plan of salvation and that there is paradise/prison before the resurrection and judgement and the guy got really mad and said "if you are going to preach the word of God, do it right. Repent right now!" and I didn't know what to do. We tried to calm him down but he said "I condemn you two to hell" (among other things) My companion got super mad and walked away and I just stood there because I couldn't believe it. So I stood there, looked him in the eyes and said "I am a representative of Jesus Christ!" And the next part I don´t know exactly what I said, I just know I felt really good for standing up to him and he stood there fore a second and then got even more mad so we got out of there quick. I know my calling and my responsibility and am honored to wear His name everyday and I know what I believe. So maybe this week we couldn't ¨flood the world with the Book of Mormon" but we put another drop of water, and what happens when you put together all those drops? A lot of water. So now it´s just a matter of enduring!

But yeah I read this last week and it sums up Urquiza pretty well in Mormon 1:16-17 "And [we] did endeavor to preach unto this people, but [our] mouth[s] [were] shut, and [we were] forbidden that [we] should preach unto them; for behold they had willfully rebelled against their God; and the beloved disciples were taken away out of the land, because of their iniquity. But[we] did remain among them, but [we were] forbidden to preach unto them, because of the hardness of their hearts; and becuase of the hardness of their hearts the land was cursed for their sake"

But that´s not our excuse not to try. We know we have a purpose here and that there are people who need our help so we´re going to just keep swimming.

-Elder Steele

No comments:

Post a Comment