Monday, March 13, 2017

History Repeats Itself

Email written: 3/13/17


Well, last week as you could see from how short the email was, that it was a tough week. This week didn't slow down either between both me and Elder Howard being sick and not being able to work a lot and then on Thursday Elder Howard finished his mission which meant that I´m in a trio (yet again) and for the second time one of my companions is Elder Juzga! So until next week I am going to be with Elder Juzga and Elder Marcum in an area called Almagro. We basically spend all day traveling in bus and subway because it´s a really big area and almost no one actually lives there so it´s very interesting to work. 

Last week after I had finished writing and was kind of down, I was on the Church´s website and found a quote that said:

"By and large, I have come to see that if we complain about life, it is because we are thinking only of ourselves." —Gordon B. Hinckley. 

That made me think a lot and I really tried hard to not think about being sick or that fact that I was going to be without a companion for a week but instead on really truly helping the people here in Nueva Pompeya (and now Almagro). One example of how this changed my week this week was on Friday night we had planned a Family Home Evening, but we had planned it all and I almost couldn't get out of bed. I kept thinking how easy it would be to cancel. I was sick, I had to be in Almagro, we didn't have much time to prepare, but for some reason I kept feeling that I had to find a way to make it work. Even though we showed up 25 minutes late and there was still no one there and then we had technical difficulties, we pulled it off! The message was focused on the atonement of Christ and to show it we had a member do push ups. For every 5 pushups, someone else got candy. Now the first few were easy but after the 10th person he was struggling a whole lot and everyone started to say that they didn't want the candy so he didn't have to suffer, but he still did it. Then we talked about how it´s just like Christ and He suffered for all of us, and it´s up to us to accept what He did. Then we bore our testimonies of Christ and the Spirit was so strong and it was the best message I've ever shared in a family home evening.   

-Elder Steele

Pic-Howard´s farewell

No comments:

Post a Comment